Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Restless Joyce

The people that I learn from in my life are the people who expose me for what I really am. Joyce Stevenson was one of those people,she was a mentor and a friend.
At a time in my life when I was trying to find meaning I had been reading the works of some Gurdjieff students,Ouspensky and Maurice Nicole and became interested in the Gurdjieff work. A former art teacher of mine was in a group and mentioned that Tom Forman a student of Gurdjieff was giving a talk at the Friends House in University Circle. I attended the meeting and met Joyce's husband Frank who invited me to some informal meetings at there home.
I sat in a group with Joyce for about ten years,she was fearless in here approach to the work and always willing to expose her weaknesses and fears. Her example showed me that it was crucial for this study to have a "question" and to work in a way not looking for results but to except my situation in the moment.
Joyce was also one of the most restless people I ever met,but her sincere efforts constantly supported my work. Now Joyce can rest in peace.

No comments: