Sunday, December 7, 2008

Guarding the Well
On the surface these paintings are very ordinary and not meant to be taken literally.
During certain times of year, the ancient Celts “guarded their wells” from being poisoned. I’m interested in the inner meaning of this story; it seems related to my search. I have noticed in myself two natures: one grasping for a shortcut to enlightenment, and another more patient and allowing. This deeper part of me needs to be nourished, but how?
I spend most of my working life fragmented while giving little time to quiet searching. Why bother there’s never any “payoff?” But if I’m physically still enough and able to abandon old ideas and habits, I find a deeper, more reliable place that has a different taste. The questioning process begins: Why keep painting?
Somehow, the answer is connected to feeling. The new paintings are about inner postures and states, unseen things, aspects of my nature I am unable to put in words.
These acts of painting have helped me become more related to my inner world.
My purpose is not to confuse or be mysterious but to follow my interests and be open enough to allow these images to come through me. This process helps to feed the deeper parts of myself, places not accessible by ordinary efforts.

No comments: