Sunday, April 27, 2014

Brace-Matt Dibble at Tregoning and Company



One of the most significant developments for me as an artist is that I now have a place to consistently exhibit my paintings. I worked for a number years without this kind of outlet, always preparing but never knowing if my work would be seen. Today, I’m fortunate enough to have gained this type of support.

Discovering that I’m not alone has reinforced me, allowed me to be freer in my approach to painting and all that goes with it. It has reduced doubt and added substantial energy to my creative process. I’ve learned to embrace all the necessary tasks needed to mount an art exhibition, from the craftsmanship required to make a stretcher to the intricacies of collaborating with the gallery. The whole process intrigues me.

When I show my work in a gallery, people write about it. They purchase it, praise it and criticize it. I become not just an isolated artist working alone, but rather, a part of the larger conversation. While exhibitions force me to deal with both the positive and the negative, they continue to provide much needed engagement.

Painting and drawing have always been anchors for me. Life’s pull is very strong, and I struggle to keep it from distracting me from my aim. I’ve found that the gallery is my cornerstone. It acts as a brace to sustain and keep me upright, in front of the easel.                         


Gate Clicks (oil on canvas) 52"x52" 2014

An exhibition of paintings by Matthew Dibble opening May 16th, 2014 at www.tregoningandco.com

No comments: