Tuesday, March 4, 2014

www.elderart.com

Current Show

Solo Exhibition by Matthew Dibble

Never_Counted__Never_Named__43.5x38.jpg
"Never Counted, Never Named" 43.5" x 38" oil on canvas

 Through March 29th
The process that we go through in the selection of artists to be represented by the gallery is often one that comes from the heart.  Likewise, it is one that takes into consideration how we project our market will respond to the artists' work. 
We often are willing to take risks when we feel so strongly about a particular artist.  Our show this month is one that we feel is unique, engaging and aggressive....all qualities that we embrace as a gallery.  Matthew Dibble is dedicated to his work as an artist and, like us, is willing to put himself out there as he creates his art. We greatly admire this trait and are honored to have Matthew join our gallery.  Below is a statement from him that describes his approach to creating his artwork.
My wish is to live in the real world. I have a natural curiosity about my place on earth and a thirst for sincerity in all forms. These paintings are a glimpse into what happens when this very active inner life and the outer world come in contact.  I’m trying to approach the work as a tradesman approaches his job, in a very ordinary way, with a watchful attention and a certain confidence that comes from experience while at the same time searching for something new. 
In the studio, my aim is to be fearless. For years, I believed that I was taking risks with my paintings. At one point, I questioned this belief. What was I risking? There was no danger except to my ego. I realized that I entered the studio with a picture of myself and a vision for my painting, and that both were huge obstacles to my creative process. How could I lose this barrier? It may seem as if these questions have nothing to do with painting, but, like many artists, the way I approach my work is important to me. If I begin with the same mindset, I usually get the same results. I can always paint a clever picture, that’s not my goal.
I’m trying to create work that's fresh, that has heart and authenticity, that's flavored with experimentation and discovery. I may often fall short, but it is the journey that has engaged me for the last 30 years. 

Stuttering_Geisha__oil_on_canvas__50x46_2012_low_res.jpg
Stuttering Geisha 50 x 46 oil on canvas
Hail_Damage__oil_on_canvas__50x46_2010_low_res.jpg
Hail Damage 50 x 46 oil on canvas
Dim_Cheer__mixed_technique_on_canvas__45x45_2012_low_res.jpg
Dim Cheer 45 x 45 mixed media on canvas
Dibble_s_Grapeshot_Road__8_5x11_low_res.JPG
Grapeshot Road 8.5 x 11 collage
Dibble_s_Byzantine_Glaze_7x5_75_low_res.JPG
Byzantine Glaze 7 x 6 drawing/collage
Dibble_s_Elegant_Retreat_11x8_5_low_res.JPG
Elegant Retreat 11 x 8.5 collage
Prince_Cranberry__oil_on_canvas___75x52_2013_low_res.jpg
Prince of Cranberry 75 x 52 oil on canvas
Public_Letter_Writer__68x80.jpg
Public Letter Writer 68 x 80 oil on canvas
Dibble_s_Civil_War_Prize__36x24__low_res.jpg
Civil War Prize 36 x 24 oil on canvas
Candid_Muralist__oil_on_paper__36x25_2012_low_res.jpg
Candid Muralist 36 x 25 oil on paper mounted on canvas
Burping_Salamander__oil_on_paper__36x25_2012_low_res.jpg
Burping Salamander 36 x 25 oil on paper mounted on canvas
Flop_Sweat__oil_on_canvas__55x47_2013.jpg
Flop Sweat 55 x 47 oil on canvas
Dibble_s_Hindu_Builder_32x27_low_res.jpg
Hindu Builder 32 x 27 oil on paper mounted on canvas
Dibble_s_Glamorous_Acrobat__32x27_low_res.jpg
Glamourous Acrobat 32 x 27 oil on paper mounted on canvas
Dibble_s_collage_4_low_res.JPG
Collage #4 mixed media collage
Dibble_s_Together_With_Moths__75x80__low_res.jpg
Together with Moths 75 x 80 oil on canvas

No comments: